Around the World in the Hetzel Kitchen

(Originally posted here.)

Maybe I'll have a better title later.

Back when I was traveling all of the time, I lamented not being able to cook more.  Specifically, I wanted to try new foods, new cultures, new cuisines, but I didn't have time.  I wanted to learn to make a lot of great food.  So I came up with a plan.

Once I was done there, I would cook a dish from every country in the world.  That way I could try a little bit of everything, see what I liked, see what I didn't, and maybe become a better cook along the way.  But how to do it?

First step: What are all of the countries?  What order would I do them in?
Second step: How often?  What are the timelines?
Third step: Am I crazy?

For the first part, I decided that alphabetically made the most sense.  If I did it by geographic region, I could end up with a lot of the same food in a row, which is not what I wanted.  So for the list, I went to good ole Wikipedia and found this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries#Internationally_recognized_sovereign_states
I am only doing the internationally recognized ones, because otherwise this could become ugly.

For the second, I decided once a week.  Who knows what my job will be, so I really don't want to commit to more than that.  Also, if I miss a week, who cares?  There will be vacations and sickness and travel and unknown things that come up.  This is not a deadline for me, this is a project.  I'm not going to kill myself over it.

Third, probably.

I start today.  I also have some pictures of other food I have been making, which I will probably post as well.  But for now…

Next up, Afghanistan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bahrain

Germany: The Failure

Try the World: Japan