Guinea

Guinea is a coastal nation in West Africa.  The official language is French and it is slightly smaller than Oregon.  Read more here!

According to what Google tells me is West Africa, we have already done The Gambia, Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, Benin, and Burkina Faso.  I have already had a lot of difficulty finding recipes for countries in this region, so I decided to take a different tactic this time.  I got out my trusty International cookbook and found a recipe that said it was from Western Africa.  Do they make it specifically in Guinea?  I don't know.  But I am in the right region.

The recipe that caught my eye was Kaklo - Banana and Chile Fritters.  How awesome does that sound?  More of a side dish or appetizer, but I can work with that.  I was originally going to do this in Colorado over Christmas, but things got a LITTLE busy.  Turns out adding seven to nine people to a household of normally two can create some chaos.

When I finally got around to making it we were well past Christmas.  I finally decided it was now or never and bought the ingredients.  Luckily, none of them were that odd which made shopping a lot easier.

Step one: Mash together some banana, onion, tomato, and jalapeno.
Banana mash!

Then you add some ginger, salt, flour, and banana.  This then needs to rest.

While it rests, marvel that your twins are now old enough to sit in high chairs.
99% sure this one is Emily.
I used coconut oil to fry up the fritters.  You can tell it was a cooler time of year because it was solid to begin with.  The other day Kevin had to use coconut oil in pancakes and thought it was going bad because it was separating.  Nope, just near the melting point.  Yay science!

Globs of fritter mix in the oil.
 It is fairly photogenic:
Not-so-much on the edible.

We were not fans of this one.  The combination sounded cool, but they were really dense and actually kinda bland.  The texture reminded me of something that I don't like, but I can't put my finger on it.  Really really oily too.  This shouldn't be surprising for something fried, but it just oozed out because it got soaked up by everything in the mixture.

So no success here.  So let's try next door, shall we?

Next time: Guinea-Bissau

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bahrain

Germany: The Failure

Try the World: Japan